Wednesday, October 15, 2008

And Another Thing

How is it that I am intolerant of others' opinions if I state mine with conviction, yet it is perfectly acceptable and the Right Thing To Do for someone to take her toys and go play somewhere else when met with people who have different political ideals?

I'm behind on my blog-reading, and I am amazed that people (one person in particular) are so embarassed of their own beliefs that they feel the need to excommunicate themselves from people who see the world differently. My, how tolerant. How open-minded.

This person can't be around people who have been her friend for years, through some pretty miserable times, because they have a different political agenda and the audacity to say so? That's just sad.

How will you ever learn from other people's ideas? You won't. That is sad too.

For years I have mentally said, hey, X has a different way of life, a different take on things. But these new developments are just crazy. Ruby Ridge.

Lots of people vote differently from the way I do, including my parents and many people who I have never met in person but love very much, from years of shared experiences. Why can't we all state our positions, and even argue them without labeling the 'other side' as stupid or crazy?

Oh, yes. Most of us can get along. Grow up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sing it sista!

Jules said...

Amen to that.

Anonymous said...

You said just what I had been thinking.