Monday, March 17, 2008

Ramona Rides Again

Do you remember the Ramona books, by Beverly Cleary? I loved them--and this week, one of the local school district's DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) selection is Ramona the Pest. Ramona is 5 and in kindergarten and since you know I think Ainslie is waaaay advanced, LOL, I thought she'd love the Ramona books.

We needed to trade in library books this morning anyway, so I went delving into the Student Fiction section. Man, I was transported back in time for those few minutes. Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Eleanor Estes... Found Ramona the Pest--and all the other Ramona books, but thought we'd start with this one, as well as the usual Little Kid Book selections.

I convinced Ainslie she needed a nap today because she has a) a cold and b) dance class tonight, so we got set up in her bed, and started Chapter 1. Chapter 1 was 40 pages--but we loved it! Until---

Ramona did NOT get chosen to be the wake-up fairy, after an already harrowing first morning at kindergarten.

Ainslie started howling, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Ainslie, HONEY, what's wrong?"

"I wanted to be the wake-up fairy!"

After some snuggling and convincing that things would pick up for Ramona eventually, she calmed down and we finished the chapter, and I promised to read chapter two later.

Can I just squeal? Despite the tears, I am beyond thrilled that my little girl was so into the story that she cried for Ramona! She was paying attention; she was so engaged and invested! I wax histrionic about my passion for kids being avid readers, but...SQEEE-EEAL!

I can't wait for chapter two!

No comments: